03 January 2017

New Beginnings – An Art Journal Page – Happy New Year

First of all, I’d like to wish you all a Happy New Year. May it be a good one for you and your loved ones and may it be filled with fun, joy, health and happiness!! If you have a creative spirit like me, I hope this year will be filled with creativity and you’ll improve your skills and keep enjoying the process of creating!

Happy_New_Year

Finally I can show you a page I’ve been working on first half of December. It was part of a secret surprise project, we made with a bunch of women for someone that has been given a lot to us these past six years, but now decided to stop her business and spend more time with her family. About fourty women made a page on a A5 sized piece of paper/cardstock and one lady put the hole bunch together and made it into a great gift box.

I’ve shared some sneak peaks on social media, because I did want to share what I had been working on, but still needed to prevent the surprise from being spoiled. I think she must have seen all the pages by now, since she received the present last Friday, so I think it’s safe to share my page now.

Because of the sneak peaks, I’ve made quite some detail shots of the page. I’m happy I got those shots so I can show you all the details on this page. Many layers of yumminess. I tried some new techniques, new bought products and worked on it for several days, because I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to make and there was a deadline, so I just needed to start. And you know what, often that’s the best approach, just starting and looking what next to add when the page evolves. And as the great Dina Wakley always says: “it’s just paper and they’ll have more of it!”

New_Beginning_detail_01

This is the first detailed photo I shared on social media. Don’t you just love all that texture! I started by making marks into the wet gesso with the back of a brush. It was quite a thick coat, so I left it to dry overnight. The next day I added some pretty shades of blue with a babywipe. I did some background stamping, some reversed stencilling (Dina Wakley inspired), I stencilled some white paint through a piece of punchinella. I stamped some stars which I bought at Hema (Dutch store) in a pack of Christmas stamps and embossed them with golden Wow embossing powder. I now know why they called their brand “Wow”, because that was exactly what I said when I melted the powder. I added splatters of golden ink by Winsor and Newton and some black splatters with Liquitex acrylic ink.

New_Beginning_detail

Another detail shot. I found a quote about new beginnings using Google and typed the text on my vintage typewriter. It was such a lucky find! It only cost me 17 euros. A year later I saw those new vintage like typewriters by We Are Memorykeepers being sold for 200 dollars! So, please first visit some thrift stores or something like that, because those oldies really just work fine and you can still buy the ink ribbons online. They were made back in the days where manufacturers thought their products should last forever. I traced the outside of the cut out text with a black Micron pen. With a black Fudeball pen, I wrote down the text “Here’s to new beginnings” at the side of the collaged woman.

New_Beginning_angle

As you can see in this photo, I did some collage with bookpaper and a piece of Gelli printed paper, which I ran through my sewing machine before adhering it to the page. I added a piece of washi tape to make the figurine stand on something and wrote a quote under the washi tape saying “the best is yet to come”.

New_Beginning

And finally, here’s the whole page! To make the page more personal, I decided to use a photo of her. I turned her into a smashing looking royal lady. The body parts are from a digital collection kit by Tumble Fish Studios. I doodled on it for some extra texture, because it was looking too flat without the decoration. The white marks are done with a Signo Uniball Broad (the best white pen you can get!) and the other colours are done with my Molotov markers.

Stay tuned, because I have a lot more in store to share with you, as I’ve been very busy during December and I have photos of my projects and adventures to show you!

No comments: